QuickBooks is cloud-based accounting software that has different tools to help you keep track of your business transactions and manage your finances. Since QuickBooks works online, users need to upload and enter their business details in the software and create a company file. However, sometimes there are technical glitches that can cause data corruption which may disrupt your business. This article will help you learn more about how you can repair your QuickBooks Company File and protect your financial information. You can also contact QuickBooks customer support and consult a certified expert to find out how you can prevent these sort of errors while using QuickBooks.
Signs to identify data corruption in your QuickBooks Company FileThe first step to repairing your QuickBooks Company File is to determine which file is corrupted. Here are a couple of things that indicate your file may be corrupted:
- You get error messages such as “Values in minor do not match major.”
- QuickBooks suddenly shuts down as soon as you delete or save a transaction
- Balance sheet error where the data does not match up correctly
- Individual transactions are missing from your QuickBooks Company File
- The data is not updated, and paid bills are still shown as unpaid
Reasons behind QuickBooks company data file corruptionBefore you go about fixing the file, you may want to focus on what caused the error in the first place. That you can implement a solution that targets that particular cause so that you can fix your QuickBooks Company File sooner. Here are some of the most common causes behind data corruption errors on QuickBooks:
- The file size has grown beyond the limit set by QuickBooks
- Your RAM does not have enough memory to run QuickBooks
- An accidental power surge may have damaged your hard drive
- QuickBooks may be infected with a virus or malware that caused data loss.
Steps to fix and repair data corruption in QuickBooksThis article explores two ways you can repair your QuickBooks Company File: by manually verifying and rebuilding the data or by using free data tools available for QuickBooks.
Method 1: Manual method to verify and rebuild Data
The manual method is very easy to follow, but it may take a while to complete. You can open QuickBooks and follow the steps given below to manually repair the data file:
Step 1: Open the QuickBooks company data file and log-in as admin.
Step 2: Select the Single User Mode and begin data verification.
Step 3: Go to the File section and click Utilities.
Step 4: Select ‘Verify Data’ and make a copy of the data file from the server.
Step 5: Enable temporary hosting on the computer where you copied the file.
Step 6: Click on ‘Utilities’ again and select ‘Rebuild Data.’
Method 2: Using free tools to repair the QuickBooks Company file
Apart from the many methods, you can also use a free tool to repair the QuickBooks company data file. Here are a couple of tools you could use:
- Reboot.bat tool can be used to re-register QuickBooks related components with Microsoft Windows
- QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool automatically diagnoses and repairs a the Microsoft .NET Framework
- QuickBooks Component Repair Tool analyses your system and fixes any problem that prevents QuickBooks from running smoothly.
- QuickBooks File Doctor repairs file and data corruption and troubleshoots Windows and network setup problems.